Sunday, November 14, 2010

text in context


            The theme I will be analyzing is stay-at-home husbands vs. women in the workplace using Modern Family and I Love Lucy.
It is a common image in America, the father returns home to his family after a long day at work, only to greet his wife who is in the kitchen preparing dinner. Since America is viewed as progressive and a place of equality, we have attempted to distance ourselves from stereotypes such as this one, allowing women to enter the workplace and men to stay at home instead of “bringing home the bacon.” Although it may seem as if society is increasingly accepting of the role of stay-at-home husbands, there has been no change in displaying the stay-at-home parent on television programs within the last sixty years.
            In Modern Family, the dad is shown to be returning home from work while the mom is preparing dinner in the kitchen. Later when everyone is eating breakfast at the table, it is the mom who becomes frustrated with the fact that each person is engaged in their own electronic device. She is seen as having control in the house. The dad backs up his wife when she is upset but does not initiate the "no electronics for a week" rule. The mom snaps and uses a computer to book a flight, showing that women are mentally weaker than men.
            In I Love Lucy, there is a challenge between the two couples to see who can last in the others’ environment the longest. Lucy and Ethel go to work in a candy factory and can’t complete the simple task of putting wrappers on the candy. Ricky and Fred attempt to stay home and do “feminine” chores such as cleaning, cooking, and anything else Lucy and Ethel would take care of in the house. The end result is that neither the men nor the women can take the others’ place, and they call of the challenge and apologize to each other.
            The media unchangingly portrays women as the stay-at-home parent/wife, cooking, cleaning, etc., while men go to work to earn the family’s income.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Zane - I like your thesis. I think you have a valid argument and you support it well. I'd suggest thinking about the Househusbands trailer too. It portrays stay at home dads, but it is in a goofy way that shows they don't take the work seriously. Maybe this can be brought into your paper somehow?

    --Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zane,
    You have come up with great ideas. However, I just wanted to point out your argument about how "women are mentally weaker than men". You should probably explain more how you came to that conclusion so that you can persuade your audience of it more effectively.
    Another thing, I totally see where you are going with your argument involving the I Love Lucy clip but I don't see where you brought your thesis back into it or an explanation (there seems to only be an illustration).
    Once you go further in depth with your explanations, I think your paper will turn out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the essay so far and it looks like it has some real potential. Maybe you could try to develop the thesis a bit more but other then that I really like what you've done so far. The transition to I Love Lucy seems a little lacking so maybe you could scan that really quickly and expand it a bit.

    ReplyDelete