Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Journal 4

I was gone for the CESL activity, so I'm writing a reaction to Eula Biss' "Letter To Mexico." I feel like the narrator really emphasized her disgust for Americans, and I didn't enjoy this story very much. Yes, inhabitants of other countries hold stereotypes of Americans, but this is no reason to feel sick with hatred for you own people. To me, this is extremely ignorant. You should be yourself and not let what others think of you shape you. I have been to several Central American countries, including Mexico, and I have found that the people there are very receptive as long as you are a nice person. A lot of their economy is based off tourism, so obviously they will be extra nice to you, but you can show you are different from the stereotypical traveler by not acting like a jackass.


One thing I didn't understand very well was the interjection about the word "frontera," meaning "border." The narrator says frontier, according to her dictionary, means "the extreme limit of understanding." I suppose she may be referencing her difficulty with the language barrier, as well as being an American among other stereotypical Americans. The narrator thinks of herself as "distinctly different from other white folks-more educated, more articulate, less crude," however, the indigenous people do not see these traits. According to the narrator, they label white folks as white folks and that's all there is to it. I think the last statement made by the narrator is quite ignorant and extremely arrogant, two qualities I make sure to avoid when making friends.


I can see where the author is coming form, feeling uncomfortable in a foreign country not knowing the language, but that's no excuse to hate on your country and your people. Yes, the government is fucked up in a lot of ways, but if you don't love America you should leave it. I interpreted this story as an insult to Americans, especially since most do not fit the stereotype that many outsiders view us as. To me, you should me accepting of all cultures and populations, and you may find that they will receive you kindly.

No comments:

Post a Comment